Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Well, today I did a lot of scrambling to get things together and then at 1:30 the kids came. Oh, dear God help me!

I really only had them for 30 minutes today because they went to PE and music after that but wow...I already feel like I had them for a whole day. I just did a little intro of myself and then one kid says "When do we get to talk about us?" Sorry kid, don't you know school is all about me?

Kids are hilarious though...always wanting to know what's coming up next. One little girl was doggedly pursuing answers about when they would be able to play games in class this year. I would ask if there were any questions and about ten hands would go up and when I'd call on the kid he would inevitably start with "One time.." and then go off on some pointless story about how his dog chased a swing or something. We really gotta work on that definition of "question."

I stayed after school for a couple of hours today just trying to work out what I'm going to do tomorrow. It's hard because it's a mix of kids from various classes that were at different points in their books and materials so it's going to be review for some. I really want to just get my footing with the subject material so I can branch out with really creative and effective lesson execution from there.

I looked through the sets of books available for my classes in the library and the selection was a bit disappointing. I've decided though that we're going to start off reading Ramona Quimby, Age 8, by Beverly Cleary. I seem to remember enjoying those books as a lad. After that we're reading Stephen King's "The Stand" and then perhaps the book of Leviticus from the Old Testament. Something they can really sink their teeth into. At this point I must say "just kidding" which is ridiculous that I would feel the need to say that but this IS the internet and not everyone knows me.

Tomorrow's the BIG day. Say a prayer.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger DigMe said...

Are you kidding? It's classic adolescent literature. I think it will go over well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home