Thursday, September 22, 2005

This morning we had a tornado drill so we'll be somewhat prepared in case hurricane Rita hits us and causes tornados. As of yesterday it was supposed to come our way but now it seems to be projected to go east of us. So I was standing in the middle of a hallway filled with a couple hundred elementary kids on their knees with their heads to the ground and their hands over their heads. It won't save them but at least they'll be in a good position to stick their heads between their legs and kiss their butts goodbye, as my dad always said. Yes, one time as a small child I was home alone and we had some really bad weather with high winds and thunderstorms. I called my dad at work because I was scared and those were his instructions to me. Thanks, pops.

During science today we were exploring states of matter by playing with a non-Newtonian fluid. For the layman (ah, I remember the layman days) that means a substance that displays characteristics of both a solid and a fluid. Basically you mix 1 cup corn starch to 1/2 cup water and mix. It's really pretty neat, you can break off pieces (if you get the mixture right) but then they flow out of your hand like a liquid. You can punch it and it will completely resist your fist like a solid but then if you slowly stick your finger or hand into it it will sink into it like a liquid. Needless to say we had fun with it and the kids loved getting all gooey and playing with it. They had some funny guesses on what it was. I asked what state of matter it was and one kid said "Gas?!" It's ok though, we haven't studied that in-depth yet. One kid thought it was candlewax and another thought baby powder, despite the fact that it smelled like bread dough. My classroom was kind of a mess afterwards.

This girl in my room thinks she can riverdance. She keeps showing me as if she's never shown me before and now she's attempting to teach other kids in the class. It looks nothing like that Flatley character..I don't know, maybe if he got really drunk.

I'm out.

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger DigMe said...

Wait a minute, you mean all these people really aren't inspired by my blog and they just want me to visit their site?! Get outta here! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home