Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Today was a pretty good day. We read two chapters of our book, studied cells more in-depth, went to the computer lab and did some required typing exercises and made some anti-drug posters for Red Ribbon Week. I would have personally rather spent the poster time doing writing but we have to do it and the kids had fun with it I think.

Today we were talking about cells and DNA and then the kids started asking me about cloning and one kid asked "What if they put a goat in a cow's womb?" Then we started getting silly with "If they put a pig in a loaf of bread would it give birth to a hot dog?" and whatnot. It was a good time of silly bonding. The science thing with learning cells is so dry. I can't think of a really great way to teach about the endoplasmic reticulum, mitochondria, vacuoles, etc... I try to make the conversations as interesting as possible by connecting it to things they're familiar with but it's still very dry stuff. They try REALLY hard sometimes to get the conversation off track and onto something more interesting.

This week in our writing journals one of my students accidentally had hers upside down when she wrote her two pages. She told me that Monday. Today she hands me the journal and says "Don't forget that it's upside down," in a very concerned voice. Did she think I was going to look at it and think it was some alien language and give her a zero or something?! Gimme some credit, 4th graders!

Today I finally went and got my fingerprints to send in for my standard teaching license background check (I'm on a probationary license this year). I've put it off WAY too long. I have a friend who was told by her school district over a month ago that if she didn't get hers they were going to put her on part time hours. Mine havent' said a thing but I'm fairly certain I was supposed to get it done long before today. I'm glad to have it done though.

Well, that's about it for me. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home