Saturday, December 10, 2005

Hey look at me! I'm actually posting an entry about my Friday!

Friday was a pretty good day. Both of my classes did much better on their big science tests than they did on the big social studies and english tests. If you don't remember these are "benchmark" tests that the district (and maybe the state?) uses to see how well your class and school is coming along.

Friday morning the first question several kids asked when they saw me was, of course, "Are we having recess today?"

So yesterday during my conference period I got a call from the front office saying "Jerry's dad is here and he was wondering if he could come up and speak with you." I said sure. We had no appointment or anything and I didn't know he was coming but I don't mind at all (As long as it's not on aTuesday when I'm trying to get the take-home folders or progress reports together). So he comes in and tells me "We've really been trying to get Jerry back on track and so I'm taking him out of school next week and we're going to get him caught up and back on track. What we're going to do is his grandparents are going to take him on a cruise."

"Huh?" Did he just say that they're taking this kid on a cruise for a week? Somehow that's supposed to get him "back on track." That's pretty puzzling to me. Not only is the time of this one week before they get out for Christmas vacation (when he wouldn't have to miss any school) but now he's going to miss a major math test and get further behind than he already was. Needless to say I'm still shaking my head on this one. This is not a kid who can afford to miss a week of instruction.

These kids have no concept of how the weather works. As I said on Thursday we had a kid walking to school in just a t-shirt and no coat when it was about 20 degrees outside. He HAS a coat, he just decided not to wear it. Today after school it's windy and 40 degrees out but it's sunny, so the kids all have their coats packed into their backpacks thinking, "It's sunny so it must be warm," and about to run out and wait for their parents in the shade in their short-sleeve t-shirts. They also ask me "Is it gonna snow?" as if all adults know the answer to that question at any given time.

I'm out. Have a good weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home